Table top mode is just like a perkins without the space bar in the middle. So dot 3 will be closest to the ear peace speaker and dot 6 will be closest to the bottom of the screen where the charger goes. But your finger positioning will be the same as it would be with a Perkins. The phone will either sit on your lap or a surface in front of you. Screen away mode is better for holding the phone in your hands. In screen away mode the back of the phone is facing your chest long ways where the ear peace is on the left and the bottom of the screen on your right. You use your thumbs and pinkies to hold the phone and part of your palm would be up against the bottom speaker on your right hand the your left palm would be resting on the top of the phone nearest the ear peace. Then you're working with the width of the phone to position your six fingers to type the dots. Dot 1 would be near the mute switch and going across would be dots 2 and 3. And you'll do the same with your right hand coming from the bottom of the phone  which will make dots 4,5,6. This method takes a little practice to get used to because it is definitely different from what you're used to. However it's the fastest for me and definitely more comfortable. You might find that table top mode can help you get used to the concept of typing Braille on a touch screen and then graduate to screen away mode like I did. It all comes much easier once you get used to the concept of what you're doing. But if you give it a fair amount of time, you'll be typing like a pro in no time. It took me about a month because I tried it and didn't like it at first. But when I decided I was going to learn it, I picked it up in about 15 minutes.