It's true that for IMAP, the default behavior in Gmail when you delete a
message is to remove all of the labels except for the trash label. these
messages will get deleted from the Gmail server after 60 days, I think.
Note, these messages don't need to be synced to your iPhone. I'm not
sure if POP behaves any differently though.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail