The only way I know to create a list or add someone to it is by doing the following.

1, Go to a tweet from who you want to add to a list.
2, Flick op until you get to view author.  If you do not see it, double tap on more in that menu to bring up additional items.
3, From that profile page, you will come to an actions button.  Double tap it.
4, In the pop up menu, you will find add/remove from list.  If you do not have any list, the last item on this screen is create new list.

So the only way I know to add someone to a list is from their profile page.

Hope this has been helpful.

Chris