I use the orbit without a desk every day.  I just put it on the Lanyard.

From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of
Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2024 9:52 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Small bluetooth keyboard recommendations

The Orbit Writer will be used with the dots in a horizontal configuration, just
like you’re using a Perkins style braille keyboard. I have to use it on a flat
surface but I’ve heard others say that there’s a lanyard where you can use it
without putting it down. It uses the braille support in VoiceOver. If you’re
using other braille devices, like a braille e-reader from the NLS, you’ll find
the key commands are going to be similar.

The keys on the Hable are side by side and vertical, and you hold it in your
hands facing away from you. It’s similar to what you use when you use braille
screen input on the iPhone in the mode where the iPhone is facing away from
you. It doesn’t use the braille input support in VoiceOver. It’s my
understanding that it connects to your phone like a Bluetooth keyboard and not
a braille device. For me, this means the connectivity is quicker and smoother.
It handles the braille translation internally, so you can still use contracted
braille. The key commands aren’t going to be exactly like what you’d be using
with other braille devices, but they are similar, and at least in my opinion,
are a bit more intuitive.

Another difference is that in the US the Orbit Writer costs around $100 while
the Hable cost around $200.

--
Christopher (AKA CJ) =>÷
Chaltain at Outlook, USA