Hi all,

For a few weeks now I've been trying to ignore this problem, or chalk
it up to an unreliable data connection, problem with the station I'm
trying to listen to, or some other thing which isn't the fault of my
iPhone.

Here's the reality. When placed beside each other on a table and
connected to the exact same WIFI network, streaming the same station
in tandem, my older iPhone 4S can play for hours without any problem.
My 5, on the other hand, constantly buffers, skips, and disconnects
for several seconds. Streaming radio is basically useless on my iPhone
5, because it just doesn't work reliably. I'd say every fifteen to
thirty seconds there's a hiccup in the stream, usually a pause of
several seconds.

I really don't get where the problem lies, because I've swapped my
phone a couple of times for unrelated issues and I remember having
streaming problems on those other phones too. It doesn't matter what
station I stream, which app I use (Safari, Ootunes, Tunein, or a
number of other radio apps I tried in the app store). Doesn't matter
which WIFI network I'm on, or if I'm on LTE or 3G. The problem still
persists.

Have set up as a new iPhone, reset all settings, reset network
settings, done a restore in iTunes, and just can't get the problem to
go away.

I'd would have thought this was a hardware problem, but weirdly, other
data works impeccably. No issues with Skype, iTunes Match, mail, or
even apps like podcast clients--streaming audio that is not live,
works fine. It just seems to be live, streaming audio that's the
problem.

Does anybody have any idea what could possibly be the problem? Can
anyone confirm whether they can use apps like Ootunes on an iPhone 5
with zero issues?

Grant