Hello Dan, I don't believe the news stand folder will take 3rd-party apps in it since it's not a real folder when compared to actual folders in your home screen. However if what you say can actually be done, then I've learned something new today.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is. - Ellen DeGeneres