Hi List,

I have seen this before, it is clearly SPAM and since Anna is a legitimate
list member it probably means somebody hacked her account. This is why I am
also forwarding this message to Raul directly in case he didn't have time
yet to read it. Hopefully he has a way to contact Anna or maybe she will
read this post. She needs to change her password immediately and I would
probably hazard a guess and say her password was probably a fairly simple
word. I can only stress again how important it is for people who use a word
even if it is 8 or 10 characters long and contains maybe a number or 2 to
change it to a random password with upper case and lower case letters,
numbers and symbols. Not all websites allow symbols, but if they do use
them. Here is a good article about password strength and it contains a
method I have been using for some time. The article gets a bit technical at
times, but I encourage everybody to read it anyhow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_strength#Creating_and_handling_passwor
ds

In section 5.2 a method called "mnemonic passwords" is described like this:

Password policies sometimes suggest memory techniques to assist remembering
passwords:

mnemonic passwords: Some users develop mnemonic phrases and use them to
generate high-entropy (more or less random) passwords which are nevertheless
relatively easy for the user to remember. For instance, the first letter of
each word in a memorable phrase. Silly ones are possibly more memorable.

I suggest not to use a well-known quote like "To be or not to be, that is
the question". Use something out of your life that makes sense to you. For
example:

I really like Clive Cussler books, for those who aren't familiar with them
the 2 main characters are Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino, one of my favourite
books of his is called "Inca Gold", it was first published in 1994.

Using this information I make up the following sentence:

Inca Gold is my favorite Cussler book; Pitt and Giordino are awesome! 1994

Note I used upper case for the first leeters of the book title"Inca Gold"
and capitalized the first letters of all the names. I used a semicolon in
the middle of the sentence an exclamation mark at the end and I stick the
year when the book was published at the end. This sentence contains 12
words, 2 symbols and 4 numbers. If I use the first letter of each word, the
2 symbols and numbers it gives me an 18-character password. I know this may
be too long for many and it's sort of a pain to enter it especially on a
virtual keyboard, but this is just an example although you should use at
least 12 characters to have a really secure password. If I were to use this,
the resulting password would be this:

IGimfCb;PaGaa!1994

I do actually use 14 to 18-character passwords for iTunes and other sites
where my credit card is stored, entering them becomes pretty easy after you
do it a few times and on the PC I use Roboform to fill them for me. Anyhow,
I think my point is clear, a sentence like this is easier to remember than a
12-character password generated by a random password generator, but it's
just as random to anybody else or to a password cracking program. OK, enough
said, keep save online and for those who have kids, teach them not to use
their best friends name or birth date as a password, if you use this method
coming up with good passwords becomes a habit like brushing your teeth.