Hi, Mark,

In the app switcher you have four apps per page. They're in a row at the
bottom, kind of in the same position as the dock. Those are the four most
recent apps. To get to earlier ones, do a three-finger swipe to the next page,
which I think by default is a three-fingered swipe to the left. Once you find
an app you want, just double-tap on it.

To remove apps, double-tap and hold any app. At this point, you're in an edit
mode. When you double-tap an app, instead of opening, it is deleted. Do this
for any apps you want to delete. Then press the home button to exit the edit
mode.

The high-pitched voice may be a system voice of some sort.

Just remember that you only have to do the three-finger swipe if you want to
find apps that have been opened before your four most recent apps have been
used.

Hth,
Teresa

Slow down; you'll get there faster.