Sendero LookAround will also tell you the nearest cross street, the
direction you are facing and your approximate address. Unfortunately
"nearest" cross street means it could be either ahead or behind. This is not
so much a problem if you are walking along and you are coming right up to an
intersection because then you know that this is the one, but let's say you
get out of a bus or a cab and you are roughly in the middle of a block, then
the nearest cross street announcement is somewhat useless.

As for automatic announcements, Sendero may not have a monitoring mode, but
you do have the option to shake the phone to get a reading/announcement and
even if I have the phone on my belt clip or in a pocket, I find all I have
to do is grab it and give it a bit of a shake and it works, no need to take
it out and pretend it's a cocktail shaker.

I have both Sendero and Ariadne, both are useful and each has its pros and
cons. If you want or can only buy 1 of them right now, Ariadne may be the
way to go because you can set Favorites.