Hi, Along with Jonathan's posts, I found this blog entry very helpful. Not
necessarily written for an audience of people who are blind, but helpful
none the less. Text is below and the link follows.

"When you plug your iPhone/iTouch/iPad into your computer and run iTunes,
there are three forms of communication that you can request happen between
your computer and the device: syncing, backing up, and transferring
purchases.

Syncing

Syncing happens much more frequently; when your device is syncing, iTunes is
making sure that the data on your computer and your phone are up-to-date
with each other.  Typically, this involves copying music or apps you have
purchased on your computer to your device, making sure your calendars and
address books match, and stuff like that.  When iTunes syncs your device, it
does not make a backup -- this is the surprise that bites most of us later.

Backing Up

Less frequently, iTunes will make a backup of your device.  You can tell
this is happening because the iTunes status window (at the top of the iTunes
window) will say "Backing up <Name of Your Device".  This process actually
makes a copy of all of your device's data from all of the apps (including
the SMS app, Address Book app, Visual Voicemail if you have it, and all of
your other apps).  If you ever need to restore your device, the data from
this process is what is used, not syncing.

You can see when your last backup was by opening iTunes, opening Preferences
(iTunes --> Preferences), and clicking on the devices tab.  If you're
unhappy with how old the backup is, you can force iTunes to make a new
backup in the main iTunes window by right-clicking on the device under
"Devices" and clicking "Back Up".  Thankfully, I have to do this often to
test versions of our software, so when I accidentally deleted all of the
data from my pregnancy tracker app, I had a recent backup to restore from!

Transferring Purchases

In the syncing description, I said that syncing copies music and apps that
you've purchased on your computer to your device -- note that I didn't say a

word about the other direction!  If you purchase music and/or apps on your
device, occasionally you'll want to make sure these purchases are copied to
iTunes on your computer in case something happens to your device. To copy
your purchases, right-click on the device under "Devices" in the main iTunes
window and click "Transfer Purchases".  I just did this myself and had five
songs and twelve apps that I needed to copy to iTunes.

http://decipher-media.blogspot.com/2011/05/itunes-sync-vs-backup-how-to-ensu
re-you.html

Neal Ewers

Ravenswood Productions

 <mailto:neal.ew...@ravenswood.org> neal.ew...@ravenswood.org

 <http://www.ravenswood.org/> http://www.ravenswood.org

Work as if it was your first day.

Play as if it were your last game.

Forgive as soon as possible.

Love without boundaries.

Laugh without control.

Speak with people as if it may be the last thing you ever say to them.

And never stop smiling.