Hi.
The phone has to be jailbroken to allow you to use the hardware keys
on the device as play/pause, previous track, and next track buttons.
The phone does not have to be jailbroken to use those commands with
VoiceDream. The jailbreaking of the device is needed to make the audio
control commands available through hardware buttons on the device, it
is not needed to make those audio control commands work on VoiceDream.
I hope that's of use.
Aman