Hi Christine,

It goes against my instincts to repost someone else's reply, but my
experience is that if I just post a link to their Mail Archive post,
many people will ignore it or assume it leads to a page that is not
accessible, and refuse to read it.  So I will post the excellent
response that Maria gave to this question on Monday.  And I will also
preface this by saying that apart from the option of being able to use
high quality voices to read this material (through additional in-app
purchases of $1.99 for most voices, or $2.99 for the two NeoVoice
voices), you also have the option to get such voices in up to 20
languages.  Furthermore, the search and navigation functions, and the
option to remember your place in documents is not generally available
for all applications with Voiceover, nor will you necessarily be able
to easily read your own documents with Dropbox integration with those
apps.
<begin quote>
"Maria Kristic"  wrote:

Voice Dream Reader can read other formats besides DAISY (i.e., PDF,
Word,
RTF, ePub, HTML, TXT). You can search for text within files in all
file
types supported by the app, see all the results, and be taken to them.
It's
nice to be able to see what percentage of the book you are at, along
with
elapsed and remaining time. You can go to a specific percentage as
well. The
app shows you short pages of text at a time, similar to iBooks, when
reading
with a Braille display, which is a nice alternative to other apps that
show
you the whole file at once, thus making Braille display navigation
extremely
sluggish. It also keeps your place in all supported file types similar
how iBooks does. Of course, as with Read2Go, if you read continuously
with
the Acapela/NeoSpeech TTS, you don't have to turn pages. You can
purchase
additional Acapela or NeoSpeech voices to supplement the Heather voice
which
comes with it.

Yes, you can buy NeoSpeech voices, but your only choices are Julie or
Paul;
Kate is not available.

No, Dropbox and Bookshare integration no longer cost extra--they are
included in the app's base price. Yes, you can look at all folders of
your
Dropbox.

A quirk with the app is that, when you perform a full-text search and
navigate to a result, while the Acapela or NeoSpeech TTS voice is at
the
right place, the text box accessible via VO and Braille does not
automatically refresh; you have to scroll up a page to be placed on
the
correct page where the search result is.

While you cannot navigate by sections in a DAISY book as you can with
Read2Go, you can use text search to find what you're looking for in
most
cases I should think.

I do wish I could see synopses of Bookshare books before downloading
them as
I can with Read2Go.

Hope this helps you with your decision! I mostly read in the app using
my
Braille display and really like it!

Regards,
Maria
<end quote>
Further, as Maria (who answered your question) also posted, if you
focus on the title of a Bookshare book, the synopsis will be read.

A great way to search out previous list discussion content is to use
the link to the Mail Archive page for this list that appears at the
bottom of each post, then type your search terms into the text box,
and hit enter.  You can read up and down the threads for the next and
shortcut keys appropriate for your browser and operating system (e.g.,
on a Mac I press Control-n to read the next post in a thread, and
Control-p to read the previous post.  On Windows with Internet
Explorer you would use Alt-n for next and Alt-p for previous.  I
actually found Maria's post that I pasted in above by doing a Mail
Archive search, and finding the result:
* RE: Thoughts on purchasing VoiceDream Reader.
http://www.mail-archive.com/viphone%40googlegroups.com/msg35127.html

Hope this helps. Cheers,

Esther