Hi Annie,

Both the Braven and the Turtle Shell and, for that matter, the Beatbox and
Jambox all have 3.5mm inputs so you can use a regular cable with a headphone
jack to connect devices that don't have Bluetooth.

From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Annie Skov Nielsen
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 5:16 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: The Little Braven BRV-1 Speaker versus the Turtle Shell

Hi Sieghard.

Thank you for the information.

Do these speakers have a mini jack connection too.

Best regards Annie.

On Mar 24, 2013, at 7:03 AM, Sieghard Weitzel <siegh...@live.ca> wrote:

Hi Tracy and List,

I read the review of the Braven BRV-1 which sounds like another nice
speaker. However, when I checked the Braven website I read that it has a
water resistant rating of IPX5. The IP/IPX designation is an international
standard and you can google this and look it up. Anyhow, I just thought I
mention that the Turtle Shell Speaker from Outdor Technology which I wrote
about last week seems to compare quite nicely, but it is $150 versus the
$180 for the BRV-1 and it has an IPX6 rating which is more waterproof and
dust proof.

The downside is that the current Turtle Shell has no battery indicator on
the phone, but Outdoor Technology is about to release their first Bluetooth
4.0 headset in June and then this will be followed by the Armedillo which is
a Bluetooth 4.0 speaker that compares to the Big Jambox in size and sound
and a new Bluetooth 4.0 Turtle Shell should follow later this year. This
will have a battery level readout on the phone and apparently hugely
improved battery life. You can read more about the products from Outdoor
Technology at  <http://www.OutdoorTechnology.com> www.OutdoorTechnology.com.

Below is the definition for IPX5 and IPX6 with respect to dust and water
resistance:

Dust:

5 = Dust protected

Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in
sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the
equipment;

6 = Dust tight

No ingress of dus.

Water:

5 = Water jets

Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction
shall have no harmful effects.

Test duration: at least 3 minutes.

Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute.

Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m.

6 = Powerful water jets

Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from
any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Test duration: at least 3 minutes.

Water volume: 100 litres per minute.

Pressure: 100 kPa at distance of 3 m.

Best Regards,