I'm going to chime in here, and I am also going to forward this on to some
folks, for a few reasons. The biggest of couse is, that yes blind people can
use an iPad and it does have a place and it goes beyond the dexterity issues
you mentioned in your message. It may be a little bigger than an iPhone
especially if you don't have an iPad mini but along with the extra real estate
as it were, some apps give you more features and ways to interact on a bigger
screen and the app developers make some of their apps take advantage of that
size. Voiceover works a little differently on the iPad than it does on the
phone, the basics are the same but some of the interaction is different in
double tapping, holding, swiping, you have more room to do b igger gestures a
four finger swipe for instance to bring up the app switcher, moving through
emails and texts by container instead of just headings which moves you from
section to section, etc. I could go on and on, but those are just a few ideas
and things but an example of an app that works so much differently and better
on the iPad, is of course the sirius Xm app. This app, on the phone is workable
but a little different. On the iPad all your channel information is displayed,
you can move through the channels without searching for certain areas on the
screen, and you can get to things more quickly than on the phone. iBooks read
differently than on the phone your pages are bigger. If you use a braille
display this makes a difference because you're not having to advance page by
page as quickly. I hope this helps and hope this might clear some thigns up but
the iPad does work for blind people, can be used for pleasure as well as
business and depending on the need can fit righ in with some of the best
accessibility out there. I am a regional librarian for the Blind here in
Alabama, and work with the braille collection as well as the technology and
alternative reading methods and I teach classes, and give instruction on the
iPad a lot and can tell you it makes a difference in those that use it, for
some they would rather have it than the iPhone or the iPod. I hope this helps
and if you have any comments let me know. Thanks and take care.