I would like to change the outgoing address for iMessages and Facetime calls
from my phone number to my Email address. In the case of iMessages, it seems
that this is easily done for new conversations (i.e. for people you've never
sent iMessages to) but apparently, not so easy for existing conversations. An
Apple support article instructs me to delete an entire conversation and then
begin a new one for contacts I've been messaging to see the new address. This
seems pretty drastic and I'm not sure I want to lose my entire messaging
history. Has anyone discovered a workaround or is this really the only way?

Grant