Hi Keith and others,

It may make it easier for you to decide between the 4th and 5th
generation iPod Touch models by hearing about some of the things you
can do with the 5th generation iPod Touch that you can't do with the
4th generation model.  The 5th generation iPod Touch has a 5 megapixel
camera in contrast to the 0.7 megapixel of the 4th generation model.
Popular apps like TapTapSee that rely on the camera quality to
identify objects will work dramatically better with the 5th generation
camera.  OCR applications require at least a 3 megapixel camera to
work -- and that's even the lower limit recommended for sighted
individuals using the camera.  You can use an OCR app like Prizmo or
TextGrabber with an external stand like the StandScan Pro with the 5th
generation iPod Touch.  The camera on the 4th generation iPod Touch
fails for this use by several factors.

The new music apps are using a standard called Audiobus that allows
the inputs and outputs of Audiobus compatible music apps to be shared
-- you can either use this to record/produce more than one track in an
app like GarageBand, or to use the outputs of an Audiobus compatible
music app as the input to another Audiobus compatible app.  This
process
cannot work on the fourth generation iPod, which does not have enough
processing power.  Although techinically it could limp through some
Audiobus capable processing, Apple specifically disabled this
capability on GarageBand for the 4th generation iPod Touch as being
too far below the hardware requirements.  (There's a forum post about
this on AppleVis). The 5th generation iPod Touch uses a dual core
processor and is Audiobus capable.

Hope this gives you a flavor of some of the real limitations you'll
encounter in the user experience between the fourth and fifth
generation iPod Touch.

Cheers,

Esther