Hi Aman,

    The "In Touch" programme also has a transcription service, so, if
preferred, one can read the text of the various interviews. This feature of
accessibility is due to human transcribers and so is not something that is
provided for many of Radio 4's programmes.

    Perhaps, contacting the developers of Dragon and or Apple with Siri, might
result in a specific app which will allow for longer chunks of speech to be
recorded. I know that what is needed is something that transcribes on the fly,
but even if we could start y practising with longer extracts, advances might be
made toward that end.

    This reminds me of the early days of scanning and Kurtzweil, when, often,
the results were less than faithful, but with time and development, scanning
results have improved exponentially, this might also be true of Speech to text.
It seems obvious to me, given Siri's ability to understand, under optimal
conditions, a person's voice, nearly in real time, that all this is possible
and is only a question of computing power and speed.I feel about this the way I
felt about Prizmo some years ago, that is is doable and that, while we may have
to accept bad results for a while, we can work on this and improve it, if only
development is pushed in that direction. If, for example, an app could be
developed to work along with Siri, or the dictation function on the keyboard,
and which could be allowed to hog as much CpU power as is necessary, I wonder
if we could see improvements in results?

    I know that I am an innocent abroad with regard to all things technical,
but it seems obvious to me that this is potentially a doable thing with our
iPhones.

    One other thought: the ability to transcribe from speech to text could be
most useful in the mainstream for meetings and, dare I say it, surveylence,
maybe, as with other voice applications, we can be the Guinee-pigs! Things
always move on faster when mainstream motivated IMHO.

    Sandy.

Sent from my iPhone