Hi, I fixed the spelling of the subject line. So, if you want to write the smilies or emoticons, there are several ways you can do this. Depending on who you ask, you will get different answers. I usually stick to the more traditional ones like smiles, frowns, and angry faces. However other people want Christmas trees, Checkered flags, ETC. If you want t list of what all is available in your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Keyboards and add the emoji keyboard. Now, the switch keyboards button will appear to the left of the space bar. When this keyboard is up, you have various categories from which you can pick. People, places, things, ETC. Once you pick a category, the keyboard will populate with the various ones from that list. You can flick left with 3 fingers to see more than what's visible on the first screen. To me this takes too much time and as I said, I prefer the more traditional ones. So, what I do is manually write out the emotiocn I want to use. Like :) or :( or, one of my favorites, :P. It's easy to think of what the emoticon represents if you can think sideways face, and what the symbols look like in print. The :) represents a smiling face because the colon in print is 2 dots, one right above the other, and the right parenthesis is a curved line with the curve out to the right. So, the 2 dots plus the curving line away from them, when turned sideways looks like 2 eyes and a smile. So, if you use :( which is a colon and a left parenthesis, the line is no longer curving away from the eyes, but toward them, like a frown. The :P is the 2 eyes with a rounded thing sticking out. This is because visually the letter P is a line with a circle toward the top and out to the right. So, this is the symbol for a tongue sticking out. Since there are many symbols or combinations of symbols to memorize, no one can know what all is out there. At the end of my post I've provided a link to a chart with many emoticons so you can write them out manually yourself. Oh, also, if you dictate with a 4S or newer, you can say the word smiley, or frowney and the right symbols will be put in for you. If there are others, I don't know of them. The chart follows.

http://code.google.com/p/emoticony/wiki/Emoticons

--
Raul A. Gallegos
I can't live without y?o?u?. TEA. Bazinga! - Sheldon Cooper