I can't tell you the best way to use it, but I can tell you how I've used it recently. I've only used it a few times since the latest update came out.

You don't need to sign in to use it, but you will need to sign in if you want to access features such as pulling up locations that you've saved in Google Maps.

I don't know how to get it to show you where you are. That doesn't mean this isn't doable, it just means that I haven't tried to figure this out yet.

Here's how I use Google Maps?

1) I type an address or the name of a location in the query field at the top.

2) I swipe to the right past the query edit field to the list of search results and double tap on the item I'm looking for.

3) I double tap on the directions to button at the bottom of the page.

4) On the page that comes up, I go to the bottom and pick the route that I'm interested in. Note on this page you can choose between driving, transit, bicycling and walking. You can also double tap on the route options button to specify things like no tolls. Further note that the route options includes information like how long it will take and what the traffic conditions are like.

5) On the next page, after double tapping on the route I want, I double tap the navigate button, and I start getting spoken turn by turn directions. This page also displays the same message that gets spoken to you, and there's a count down timer at the bottom of the page that counts down as the estimated time from where you are to where you want to be changes.

I hope this helps.