If you have sighted assistance, here is what to do.
First, turn on the iPad by holding down the power switch which is on the right
side of the top. The apple logo will appear on the screen. It will take about a
minute for the iPad to boot up the first time.
Next have them enter the information on the screen.
Once the iPad is running, they should tap the settings icon. Now go to general
on the left side of the screen. Now look for accessibility on the lower right
side of the screen. Tap accessibility and tap the on / off button next to voice
over. You will hear the iPad say "voice over on ". A
Now you can use the iPad. In the voice over area, there is some information
about the gestures that you will need to know to be able to use voice over. I
highly suggest that you spend some time learning these gestures.
Once you are familiar with the iPad, you will want to go back into settings,
general, accessibility, voice over, and go to the bottom and select toggle
voice over in the triple click home option. This will allow you to turn voice
over on and off, if needed.
Good luck,

Chuck (mobile)