Hi all. this is a reminder about the list rules. I'm going to implement a system where the list rules are made available to everyone. I would have thought that talking about illegal things was a no-brainer, but I also realize that people's interpretation of that can be subjective. So, unfortunately it will have to be spelled out. Also, below is a copy of a message I've sent out from time to time and it will do everyone good to re-read it if they are a veteran list member, and good to read if they are a new list member.

For the record, Cara Quinn is both list owner and moderator, and me, Raul Gallegos is list moderator. So, if you see a message from either one of us asking that something be stopped, that is what that means. It doesn't mean to continue writing even if you try to disclaim it by saying, I know they asked us to stop but... Or, even though the moderator's said stop, I'm adding this ... blah blah blah. Stop means stop. I don't care if you are an outstanding list member, posting something whether you feel is on topic or not even to add something positive or to cheer me or Cara on is still doing what we asked to stop. I know that most everyone's hearts are in the right place and Cara and I both appreciate the support, but as much as it's well-intentioned, it also adds to the list traffic. If you want to say something in response to a message from something that someone wrote, write that person off list. Otherwise, just ignore it and move on. We want this list to be a great resource for information as long as that information isn't illegally obtained. I won't split hairs with some of you who might disagree. Bottom line, if it's about pre-release iOS software which only NDA agreed people are supposed to have, then don't do your illegal part by passing it along. What you do on your own time is your business. Now, here is the pasted message I promised.

Hello all. I hope that you still read these messages despite the subject line. I just have a few things to point out since we have some new users and since there have been some message postings of late which have prompted me to write. So, please read this message all the way since it may contain information which will be helpful to you as a member of this list.

The following are several things to keep in mind when reading and writing viphone list messages.

1. Please don't hijack a thread. If you know that you are not hijacking a thread, skip down to the next item. If you don't know what a hijacked thread is, read this carefully because you might be doing this without knowing you are. A hijacked thread is when you are reading a message which talks about topic X, and then you reply to that message and erase all the content, and the subject and replace it with something totally different, Topic Y, and write a new message. This is a no-no because what you have done is basically butted in on an existing conversation. If this was real life, it would be like you joining a group of people who are discussing the new features of iOS 6 and suddenly asking what the best gps app for the blind is. In other words, you started talking about something totally unrelated to their existing conversation. On the iPhone a thread looks like this. The sender, the subject, the date and time, and how many messages in the thread. One thread might have 25 messages and then you think, gee, this is a great conversation about air plane mode. So, as you are reading messages about air plane mode, suddenly, someone talks about the Grub Hub app they just got and how they ordered Chinese food for dinner and what do people think of the accessibility of Grub Hub. This has nothing to do with air plane mode. So, now the 25 messages which you thought were about air plane mode have some messages about it, and some messages about Grub Hub. Not a good thing. The resolution to avoiding this is to not hijack a thread. If you want to write a new message which doesn't have anything to do with the existing message you are reading, simply start a new message and address it to viphone@googlegroups.com and put in the subject and appropriate message. This way your topic will have its own thread and it will keep people like me happy. In short, don't use the reply button to start a new discussion. Instead, use the new button. The reply button should only be used to continue the same discussion.

2. One liner messages. There are several people who are still on moderated status because of their constant one liner messages. These include things like, "thanks, I'll try that." or, "OK.", or, "Yes, I'll do that." Of course, sometimes there might be a message where someone for example asks, is iOS 6.1.1 out? To which, there is only one answer. Yes. In cases like this, one liner messages are ok. So, in short, use best judgment. Think before you send, does what you write really contribute to the conversation and will all 1400 plus members really get something out of you saying what you want to say? Think of how you would do this in real life. Would you say this out loud? If you want to thank someone for answering your question, would you shout it out to 1400 people, or would you just tell the person who helped you? So, if you want to send out a one liner or thank you message, just send it to the person directly. One good and safe way of doing this is by pressing reply to all in the message and then removing the viphone address from the to field. This means your message will only go to the person who sent it. Also, it will make list members happy that you are not adding to useless clutter.

3. Cool, new, or free app notifications. When posting about a new app, a cool app, or an app which is free for the day, please take the time to include at least 3 things. The app name of course, a brief description of the app, and the link to it. The link can either be the iTunes link or the web page of the app. You can easily get the link to an app from either your iDevice or from the iTunes store from your computer. If you don't know how to do this, go ahead and ask. The way I copy a link from the iTunes store is by pressing enter on the app in question, and then tabbing once past the free or price button. It's a combo box. Now I press down arrow to copy link and press enter. This copies the link to the app into my clipboard. Then I can paste it into my message. Also, if the app you are letting the list know is a free app for the day, my suggestion is for you to put that in the subject line. For example, Navigon on sale for $24.95 on Monday February 18, 2013. or something similar. This way people who read messages a day or three later will at least have an idea of whether the app might be free on or sale still. Also, use some common sense when asking about whether an app might still be free or not. Instead of asking on list if it's still free or discounted, just pull it up in the App Store or iTunes and find out for yourself.

Now, the rest is an updated list of suggested dos and don't for the viphone list. I hate calling them rules, but I sometimes feel like they should be just because it will help keep this list run more smoothly. I wrote these when I first became moderator, and most of these still apply, but as I said, I've modified them to be more updated.

The below starts with respect for each other.

Speaking of respect and kids, I can promise you guys that I will do my best to respect you, and to not treat anyone like a kid. Regardless of the ages of all the group members, (which by the way are quite a bit), I feel that we are all adults here and can act accordingly. When I say adult, I'm not speaking of the legal or cultural definition of adulthood, but about the maturity level. If you visit http://www.marcandangel.com/2007/08/17/what-is-adulthood-20-defining-characteristics-of-a-true-adult/ you will see what I mean.

So with this in mind, Cara and I have come up with a list of guidelines for the list. I am not calling them list rules because that sounds a bit severe. And since we are all adults here, we should not have any problems keeping the following in mind when posting to the list.

1. We are all in the ballroom at VIPhone Manor. Think of the mailing list as a huge room where all the list members are hanging out and sharing ideas, experiences, asking questions, ETC about our favorite iOS devices. There is a wireless microphone being passed around and every time someone posts to the list, they hold the microphone for that glorious moment and everyone in the room gets to hear what they have to say. However if that same someone responds privately to another list member instead of posting to the list, the conversation is kept quiet and no one in the ballroom is aware of it. Please try and consider when you want to post to the list, does everyone need to hear what I have to say, or does only the person I'm having a conversation need to hear it. Lively and positive list discussion is encouraged as long as it remains on topic. Personal conversations or things which are obviously meant for one person are not.

Some good examples of holding the microphone for everyone to hear are: Posting about a new app or an update to an app. Discussing good and bad points about an app or a specific iOS device. Sharing experiences about an app or a situation where the iOS device made a difference in something you did. Asking questions about the accessibility of an app. Comparing apps or iOS devices.

Some not-so-good examples of holding the microphone for everyone to hear are: Posting one-liner messages such as "me too", "thank you", or "your welcome" and not adding to the discussion at hand. Asking a specific person for their email address when it's right there in the message you are responding to. Treating someone with no respect, or talking down to someone who might not have an answer to a question. Trying to moderate the list yourself.

2. Tolerance and patience. This list is comprised of over 1000 people with a varying range of education, background, ethics, and age. Because of this we ask that you all show tolerance toward each other's style of writing and expression. If you feel that a list member has posted a message which is offensive, unreadable, grammatically or syntactically incorrect please do not complain about it on list. You can either ignore the message, or take it up with me or Cara privately. Flaming the list member on list would not be cool at all. There are times when emotions can get hot, and if this happens, it's ok to step back and let things cool down. If action is required by the moderators, let us handle it.

3. Use appropriate language. Foul language is not acceptable on list. We realize that some words are not considered foul language in certain parts of the world or in the context used. However when posting to the list decide on whether your message would be appropriate in a children's book or if it would be tolerated in grade school.

4. Fellowship. The VIPhone list doesn't only exist to serve as a database of questions and answers. That is what knowledge bases, FAQs, and Google searches are for. In addition to exchanging knowledge, This list is a place for us to fellowship in some small way. Although personal chat-like posts will always creep up on list, they are not condoned. It is in our nature to want to discuss things with each other. They might start off as iOS related but then might stray to other areas. If this happens, please move the discussion off the list so it can remain on topic. It is very easy for a discussion about a weather app to morph into a discussion about the weather in your city and how your pets feel about the recent climate changes.

5. Appropriate postings. It goes without saying, but please take care to post messages which are iOS related. Asking questions about the best Android app for your checkbook, or finding the best places to vacation next summer are not considered on topic. If you post links to web sites or podcasts or downloads, make sure they are public links or that you have permission to post them. Postings containing salacious or defamatory material, piracy, cracking/hacking of any software, and
anything illegal are unacceptable and inappropriate.

6. Moderating members. I hate writing this one, but it has to be said. We realize that most everyone here is here to get information from the list and wants to participate in positive discussion. However there are always a few bad apples in a large group. (Pun intended). It's these bad apples which can ruin it for others. Unfortunately if a topic on list gets out of hand, or someone starts flaming others on list, steps need to be taken. So, please rest assured that if list members need to be spoken to regarding list postings, or list behavior, it will be done.

7. List traffic. We realize that list traffic can get a bit overwhelming at times. This is especially true when a new iOS version comes out. Just know that usually the increase in traffic during a new iOS release is just temporary. However you can always do your best to help minimize that list traffic by following the guidelines you are reading. Additionally you can switch to digest mode which bundles many messages into one large one, or you can set filters in Gmail, or in your specific mail program so that list messages are not flooding that precious inbox.

8. List archives. The archives for this list are available at www.mail-archive.com/viphone@googlegroups.com/ which is very speech friendly and can be searched. This is a great resource to finding that answer you are looking for regarding a past topic. One which comes to mind is, "How do I enable or disable the compact voice?" I personally feel that searching the archives from this page are easier than searching them from the Google Groups web site, however both can be done. You will notice that the footer at the end of each message to the list includes the public list archive address.

That's it for the list guidelines. Remember that if you have any suggestions, comments, complaints, or constructive criticism regarding the list. Let me and/or Cara know. We will do our best to make things right.

Happy iOSing.

--
Raul A. Gallegos - VIPhone Moderator
I'm so good at sleeping, I can do it with my eyes closed..Bazinga! aahaa - Sheldon Cooper