I'm not sure where they're posted, but raul Gallegos posts guidelines to the list when he thinks they're warranted. You can check the list archive for these messages. Search for messages from Raul with things in the subject line like "moderator", "please read", "reminder" and so on. The link to the list archive is in the footer of every message to the list.

BTW, I'm all for having a published set of guidelines and having them posted to the list periodically. Unfortunately, it's often the case that those who need to read such guidelines are those who hit the delete key on such posts before reading them. That's not to say they shouldn't be written down, published and posted periodically. It just means that this won't solve all of the issues on the list.

For example, here's something he posted a few months ago. they usually address specific issues, but if you glance at a few of them, you'll pick up most of the list guidelines.

Hi all. Just to let you know, I've been extremely busy these last 7 or 8 days. So, I've gotten a bit behind on list management. For the most part this list can manage itself, so that's a good thing. Below are just a few reminders and suggestions on making this list an even more fun place to be when you read your email.

0. List owner and moderator. Kara Quinn is the list owner and Raul Gallegos, (that's me), is the moderator. You can reach the list owners and moderators directly by writing an email to viphone+ow...@googlegroups.com. Note the plus instead of the traditional minus in the email address. You can write me directly by using the format "first name at first name last name dot com" Just read this message to see how to spell my name. please be aware that any message sent to this list about this list from kara or me is to be taken seriously. You will know if it's of a list nature if we put moderator or owner in the subject line. However also know that both of us are also list members and most of the time when we post messages it is as list members just like yourselves. This means that we may have our own opinions, and we may be wrong about what we post, just like you. I try to put in a disclaimer if posting about a topic which I'm not totally sure of that I hope someone will correct me on, and I have been corrected, and so that is good.

1. New members. If you are a new list member please note that you are automagically placed on moderation until I can determine that you are a real person who is posting messages relevant to this list. If you are a new member who signed up more than 2 weeks ago and you are still moderated, it could mean that you are posting off topic messages, or that you slipped through the cracks and I need to get on the ball and update you. So, please write me off list and ask.

2. Other moderated members. If you are no longer a new member, but you are moderated, it means that you were placed there by me for a number of reasons. usually the more common reasons are for posting off topic messages or for flaming or being rude to the list members. In cases like this I write the person first to let them know if they will be placed on moderation. I don't like having list members moderated because it generates more work for me each day, which leads to number 3.

3. Moderation queue. I try to visit the list moderation queue once per day at least. However real life and other commitments might keep me from doing that 100% of the time. This means that if you are on moderated status for reasons 1 or 2, your messages may not get to the list as quickly as you like. So, the goal here is to not be on moderated status to begin with. if I had zero members on moderated status that would be super and fantastic and all those good adjectives.

4. Keep this list lively and positive. Please remember that this list has well over 1400 members and that includes people from all places in the world. Don't assume that only people from your own country are here. Because of this there will be many different ways that people write or express themselves. As long as these ways are not seen as flaming, personally attacking others, or outright rude, then I would ask that you show tolerance if a message comes through which isn't worded in the exact way that you would word it yourself. If you have an issue with a list member please write them privately, or ignore their messages.

5. VIPhone. Remember that this list is for the primary discussion of the iPhone and its related family members. I.E. iPod Touch, iPad, and even Apple TV. This also includes software used in the iPhone and its related family members like iOS and the various apps, iTunes software for the Mac or PC, and jailbreaking. Hardware things like the many accessories for all the devices. I.E. Keyboards, cases, speakers, you name it. So, after all that huge list of acceptable things, please don't post off topic messages which don't include them. I.E. Your favorite dog guide school, how to burn CDs using Winamp, how to setup your Windows or Mac, ETC.

6. Have fun. Even though there are guidelines for this list, let's all remember to have fun, respect one another, and keep the list alive. it's not about the number of messages are posted to the list, but about the quality of the messages to the list. Whether that's 10, 1q00, or 1000 in a given month, let's make each one of those messages count.

That's all, have fun.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Twitter and Facebook user ID: rau47