Voice Dream Reader with a Braille Display

Written by Nicky on the VIPhone users List

I am using a BrailleNote Apex BT32 and an iPhone 4S, but I hope these basic
instructions will be general enough to work with any Braille display and iOS
device.

1.  With a file open in Voice Dream, locate the first element on the screen by
pressing Space with dots 1-2-3 on the Braille keyboard.

2.  Move through the various elements using Space with dot 4 or an equivalent
command that may be available if your Braille display has navigation keys,
until you reach the words 'Next item'.

3.  You can now start reading the contents of the file by panning the Braille
display to the right in the usual way, i.e. pressing Space with dot 5 or using
an equivalent command, if available on your display.  Continue to pan the
display to the right until you reach the end of the block of text that is
currently visible.  You will know that you have reached the end when the focus
lands on the 'Bookmarks' button.

4.  Now pan the Braille display once to the left, using Space with dot 2 or an
equivalent navigation command.  This will move the focus back into the text
area, at the beginning of the page you have just read, and the Braille display
will be blank.  This step is important; otherwise the Scroll command in the
next step will not work.

5.  To scroll to the next page of text, press Space with dots 1-4-5-6.  This is
the 'Scroll down one page' command and it is the equivalent of a 'Three-finger
swipe up' using VoiceOver on the touchscreen.  To scroll up to the previous
page, press Space with dots 3-4-5-6, which is the equivalent of a 'three-finger
swipe down'.

6.  Once the Scroll command has been executed, the Braille display briefly
shows the percentage of progress through the file, and then it goes blank. The
focus is placed at the beginning of the next page of text and you can read it
by panning repeatedly to the right in the usual way, until you reach the
'Bookmarks' button again.  Repeat these steps to continue reading through the
file.

NOTE:  You will notice that the text overlaps slightly from one page to the
next, so the last few words of the previous page are repeated at the beginning
of the next page.

Happy reading,

Nicky

Richard
(Sent from Richard's iPod Touch 5th gen)