To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:39 AM
Subject: How to easily find information about apps on Applevis and iTunes/the App Store using Google

Hello Listers,

For the Google savvy crowd this message may cover old ground, but when I
answered Wren's question on how to find a Podcast on Downcast, I found
myself starting to explain a bit on how to easily find this sort of
information and while this isn't strictly iOS related, I thought I do a
separate post with a more appropriate subject line. I hope this may benefit
some of the people on the list who are new computer users or simply don't
have as much experience using google and the Internet. I simply pasted the
message below, it starts specifically with how I found the link to the
Downcast Podcast on Applevis, but then goes more into how you do this using
Google:

A quick Google search for "Downcast on Applevis" brought up a bunch of
results. The third search result said the following:

Take Your Favorite Podcasts on the Road: Downcast for ...
Feb 2, 2012 - In this approximately 30-minute show, Allison Hilliker and
Darrell Shandrow demonstrate searching for, subscribing to and playing
podcasts ...

Here is the direct link to the Applevis page where you find the link to
download/play the Podcast:
http://www.applevis.com/podcast/episodes/take-your-favorite-podcasts-road-do
wncast-ios

Just for your information, it is super easy to do a Google search for a
particular app and show  results from either iTunes (if you simply want to
find an app description, price etc.) or to see if a particular app has a
review or Podcast on Applevis. All you have to do is type in the app name
followed by "on iTunes" or "on Applevis".
It is also very easy to review the list of search results if you use Jaws. I assume other screenreaders have similar quick navigation keys for navigating
the internet, but I will explain it from a Jaws perspective.
Basically once you typed your search and pressed enter, you can easily find
the search results by going to the top of the page with Control+Home, then
use "2" to jump to the first Heading Level 2 on the page, it is called
"Search Results". Since it is the first heading on the page, the generic
quick nav key "h" for "Heading" will also take you there.
Now you can go from search result to search result by using "3" for Heading
Level 3 or, once again, you can also just use the generic "h".
Each search result is numbered (usually 10 per page) and the first line
which is the one that is numbered gives you a brief indication on what the
particular result is all about. In my example above, it is the one that says
"Take Your Favorite Podcasts on the Road: Downcast for ..."
Then you get a line which usually indicates the URL of the website where the link will take you, in my example it is www.applevis.com. There may be some other links given, but lastly you always find another one or 2 lines with a
more detailed description, once again in my example this is the following:
Feb 2, 2012 - In this approximately 30-minute show, Allison Hilliker and
Darrell Shandrow demonstrate searching for, subscribing to and playing
podcasts ...

Now you know that this search result is about a Podcast and not simply an
app review, you can arrow back up to the link for that search result, press
enter on it and get directly to the page where you want to be.

In many cases it is just as quick to find what you are looking for this way
rather than writing an email and the advantage of course is that you have
your answer instantly, you can listen to the Podcast, download the episode
or bookmark the page for later reading. If your question was about what a
particular app does or what it costs, you can easily find apps this way,
just try it, for example, by searching for "Downcast on iTunes". When you do
a search like that Heading Level 2 will usually take you to an ad about
iTunes or the App Store in general and it will say something like "Ad
related to Downcast on iTunes" followed by some links.
Just do another "2" or "h" to get to the next heading level 2 which once
again takes you to the start of the search results.
Now 3 or H will take you to the first search result, if you search for
"Downcast on iTunes" you will get the following:

Downcast for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/downcast/id393858566?mt=8
Rating: 4.5 - 2,353 votes - US$1.99 - iOS Aug 28, 2013 - Description.
Download and listen to your favorite podcasts directly from your iOS device
without the need to sync with iTunes. "Downcast Is the ...

As you can see, there is a lot of information just in the search result
without even going to the link. I can see the price, the date it shows is
actually the date the app was last updated and it is followed by a brief
description. If I wanted to read the full description I can just press enter
on the search result, it will take me to the app store page and once again
by using the heading hot keys I can quickly find the description.

Search and view the VIPhone archives by visiting http://www.mail-archive.com/viphone@googlegroups.com/.

Reach the VIPhone owner and moderators by emailing viphone+ow...@googlegroups.com.

More VIPhone group options can be found by visiting http://groups.google.com/group/viphone?hl=en. --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to viphone+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.