I think this is the case with t-mobile, but I've always heard that if you get the at&t version of the phone, even at the apple store for full price, it's still locked to at&t which makes paying full price forthe phone pointless. When I got the iphone 5 from an apple store, there were separate phones that were specificly unlocked. I'm not sure if there is a difference with the CDMA version, or if it's all the same hardware, but whether an iphone is locked is actually determined by how Apple has it labeled in their servers. I'm not sure why Apple would be concerned about it, if people are paying full price for an unlocked phone, it should not matter to them, on the other hand, carriers do have too much control over things at least in the states. I think in Europe, there are more restrictions on what carriers can and cannot do, and hopefully eventually that will happen here as well.