  From: Sieghard Weitzel
  To: viphone@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 3:28 PM
  Subject: Automatic iOS 7 download and space considerations

  Hello,

  Jonathan as always explains things like nobody else and I do agree that the
automatic downloading of iOS 7 is maybe not something Apple should force on
people even though it is also not new since they did the same with iOS 5 and
iOS 6.

  Here is a point, though, which I wonder about:

  People mostly complain that on something like a 16 Gb phone this update takes
up a lot of space and I would agree that it does. If you only have maybe 3 or 4
Gb free space and this is almost 3 Gb it doesn't leave you with much. If you
use a 16 Gb phone but you don't really fill your device with music and only use
storage space for some apps, maybe a few books or pictures, then you probably
have at least 6 or 8 Gb free space in which case it's a mute point if half of
that space is used up by the update since chances are you won't run out of
space.

  If your phone is so full that maybe you only have 1 Gb free I wonder what
happens then. I somehow doubt Apple randomly can delete stuff from your phone
to make room for the update, it is my guess that if you went to Software Update
in General Settings it would have an "Download and Install" option since it
could not download the update and if you tried it you would be informed that
there wasn't enough space. At that point you would have to take off (un-sync)
some music, pictures, books or apps depending on what you have on your phone to
fill it up should you want to install the update, afterwards you could resync
that content.

  So, maybe this is something to remember next year as a work-around. If you
have a 16 Gb device and don't want a new iOS update to download, simply make
sure you fill your device with content and only leave maybe less than 2 Gb free
for use, this way there is not enough space for the update to download and you
are good to go. If you have 5, 6 or 8 Gb of free space or even more then having
the just under 3 Gb download sitting on your device is a mute point. Should
people have to do this? No, probably not, I think Apple should put something
into the Settings which just as you can turn off automatic app updates allows
you to turn off automatic iOS update downloads. They could even have this set
to On by default since then it's up to each person who cares enough to not want
this to turn it off.

  a quarter or and have a smaller

  First, it is my understanding that this only downloads via

  is a point, though, regarding space. People complain that if they have .

  OK,