Hi Neil,

The RØDE app you linked to is not new. RØDE  Microphones have been using an app
patterned on the FiRe 2 app since December of last year, which may also explain
their interest in purchasing the rights to FiRe 2 from Audiofile Engineering.
The rather unflattering descriptions I have heard of their app is that it's
like the FiRe 2 app, but one or two versions behind, and with bugs.

I'm not going to pay the $5.99 to try their app out at the present time, unless
there's new information, and this app gets better reviews than it currently
has.  I'll just state that I tried the free (RØDE Rec LE) version of their app
earlier, including the last version (2.7.5, released in May 2913 )that was
available when FiRe 2 was still in the app store.  every version of the RØDE
Mic LE app that I tried since January lost VoiceOver when I started a
recording.  The only good side result of the discussion about how to work
around the glitch in the last release of FiRe 2 where VoiceOver's volume went
down to 0 when you accessed the setup for recording is that the fix of doing a
two-finger double tap to start music playing, which coincidentally would bring
back VoiceOver, also works for the RØDE Mic LE app.

I would check the free (Light Edition) version of the RØDE Mic app for
accessibility issues before trying thie paid app.  For now, I'd rather stick
with the version I have of the FiRe 2 app, which I can still make work, and
which doesn't crash on my iPhone 5.

If you try the RØDE Mic app, remember to do a two finger double tap to try to
get VoiceOver back when you lose speech.  Since this has happened upon staring
a recording for every single version of the RØDE Mic LE app that I've tried, I
doubt things will be different now.  (Sorry to be so cynical.  RØDE may make
good microphones, but their apps ca use a lot of improvement.)

Cheers,

Esther,

Neil wrote:
As you may recall, I sent a message to the list some time ago about the fact
that Rode had purchased the Fire 2 recorder. Well, here it is. I guess it's
not an update to fire 2 and I think you have to purchase it all over again,
but I'm not sure. All I know, is that I have not gotten an update and I just
saw this on the web. I have no clue if it is accessible. Check it out, if
you wish, at

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/r-de-rec/id528642521?mt=8

Neal