I'm looking for some open ear bluetooth headsets, and I'm particularly interested in the Aftershokz Bluez. I've read up on them on AppleVis.com, and I've reviewed some of the discussions here on this list, but before I put them on my Christmas wish list, I was wondering if there's anything else I should consider.

Here are more details on what I'm looking for.

I'm specifically looking for something I can use when outside to listen to GPS instructions and check information at street corners or bus stops. I want to be able to hear what's around me, so the fact that they're open ear is important to me.

I'm specifically looking for the convenience of bluetooth. I just don't want to have to worry about the wire when out and about.

I have plenty of other headset/headphone options to use when listening to music, so sound quality is not a major factor. I mostly want to be able to use them to hear VoiceOver. Stereo is also not a requirement.

Since I'll be using them outside, I'd like them to be water resistant. They don't have to be water proof, but I don't want to worry about them if they get a little rain or sweat on them.

I wear hats when it's raining, so I'd like something that's not over the head. I'd like to wear them under a hat with a brim that goes all the way around my head.

I'm not too rough on things, so I'd like them to be durable, but they don't have to be super tough.

The only thing I've read about the Aftershokz Bluez that give me pause is the noise bleed. Ideally, I'd also like to be able to use them in meetings, to check on notes, appointments and the like, without bothering those around me, but I usually use ear buds similar to those from Apple right now, and I could continue to do that if the bluez won't work out in that environment.

From what I've read, the Aftershokz Bluez seem to meet my needs, but I'm wondering if there's something else I should be considering. For example, I had a one ear bluetooth LG headset that went around one ear and just rested outside the ear canal, which might also do the trick. Unfortunately, they don't take a charge any more. I'm curious if there are any other options like this, and how these headsets, which just sit at the entrance to the ear canal (similar to Apple's ear buds), compare to these bone conducting options. Do these open ear bone conducting headsets really give you more environmental awareness than say the Apple ear buds?

thanks for your input.

--
Christopher (CJ)