From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2013 8:32 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: My experience with T-Mobile, was: T mobile users out there,
question

I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago and while I was only there for 4 days at
a trade show, I still wanted to be able to have access to my email and use
Facetime and other VoIP services. I have an unlocked iPhone 5S which I
bought from Apple here in Canada directly.
I went to a T-Mobile store in a mall and bought a Nano SIM for $10.
On top of that I spend $15 for 5 days of service at $3/day.
I was told this would give me unlimited calling and texting in the States
and 200 Mb of data each day.
Where I live in Canada we don't yet have LTE service and I was looking
forward to seeing how fast this was. I was shocked how poor the coverage in
general seemed to be. I sometimes had LTE showing in the status bar when I
was outside and at one point I was walking from the Flamingo where I was
staying to the Mirage where the trade show was. Both resorts are on the
south end of Las Vegas Boulevard right in the heart of the Strip and as I
was walking it showed LTE and 5 of 5 bars signal strength. I started
Blindsquare and since I hadn't used it since I got my 5S it wanted to
download the additional voice. The download was 25 Mb and I thought this
would take a few seconds on LTE. I started the download and after my almost
10 minute walk to the Mirage it had downloaded less than 20% and all in all
I think the download took about an hour. On the 11th floor of my hotel in an
outside room I could hardly use my phone because I only had 1 or, if I was
luck 2 out of 5 bars signal strength and the status bar displayed 4G all the
time which I thought was something only AT&T was doing.
All in all I was quite disappointed in the service and I ended up spending
another $15 for 2 days of WiFi access at the convention centre where the
show took place and that turned out to be much more reliable for email, VoIP
calls and so on.
When I ran a speed test in Vancouver at the airport the LTE connection gave
me 21 Mb/s down and almost 8 Mb/s up which I thought was pretty impressive.