The more I play with Apple Maps, the more I like it. I used Apple Maps earlier
to locate new potential places to live. After I got the address from the
website, I opened Apple Maps. I placed the address (number and street name
only) in the search edit field. I then right flick a couple times, or slide my
finger down the display a little, and I find a list of cities. Apple Maps shows
me the name of each city and country where the address and street is valid. I
double-tap on the city I want.

Now, a pop-up window opens. At the top of the display is Directions Button. One
flick right shows the full address in the search field. After that is one's
current location. Double-tap on directions and one gets the choices of driving
Button, Walking Button, and Public Transit button. Double-tap on any of these
buttons to select it. Then, double-tap on Route Button to take Apple Maps to
the next screen.

On this screen, one can start the route, or one can go to the bottom of the
display and find the Directions Button. Double-tap Directions to have the route
displayed. The displayed route is excellent, listing direction to travel,
distance to next point, and direction to turn (left or right). At the end, it
shows whether the place is on the left or right.

Also in the Start screen is a More Info Button and an Options button. In
Options, one can add multiple stops to the route, amongst other options.

Note: Currently Apple Maps does not support public transit information, so it
brings up GPS apps on the iPhone that support Public Transit. When I opened
Google Maps, my starting and destination information was loaded for me.

For a free option, this is very good. Also, the map screen can be tactually
explored by moving one's finger slowly. Apple Maps announces the street one is
touching, and can go into tracking mode with sound cues for following streets
on the display.

Note, I have not yet used Apple Maps for route navigation. Given that I like it
for what's around me when I am walking, I suspect it will do quite well with
routes. I will test it soon.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288