From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of David Chittenden
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2013 5:21 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Random reboots on an iPhone 5S

I agree, it sounds like a software issue. In my case, VO occasionally dies
and is restarted.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA

Email: dchitten...@gmail.com

Mobile: +64 21 2288 288

Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Dec 2013, at 10:27, Grant Hardy <grantha...@outlook.com> wrote:

Since getting my iPhone 5S in mid-October, I've had a total of three random
reboots on my iPhone 5S. The first time was when I was listening to an
audiobook and the screen was locked. The audiobook abruptly stopped out of
the blue, and after 30 seconds I heard "VoiceOver on, screen curtain on" and
was back at the lock screen. Touch ID was disabled, as it normally is
whenever the phone is restarted. I went into settings, general, about,
diagnostics and usage and took a look at the diagnostic logs. I'm not privy
to the exact meaning of the logs, but it appears that I had a full kernel
panic which seems to be a term that operating systems use to indicate that
an error or problem took place, which cannot, or should not, be recovered
from without a reboot.

Since then, I've had two more kernel panics (which I've verified by reading
the diagnostic logs). Both times, I've simply been lying in bed with the
phone charging and have been awoken to VoiceOver saying (VoiceOver on,
screen curtain on).

The first time this happened I actually was within my 30 day return window,
but I called Apple and they ran remote diagnostics and said that my phone
was fine and that it had been a hardware issue. However, as I say the
problem has happened a couple of times since then. I suppose the reason for
this message is to firstly ask whether others have experienced the same
issue on their iPhone 5S, and also whether there's a way to tell whether
this is a software or a hardware issue. I've discussed this issue with a few
people who suggest that maybe this is simply a software issue caused by
drivers or bugs owing to the switch to 64-BIT code. What do you guys think?

Grant