As far as I know, when you challenge a close rival in the arena, I don't think you know what the makeup of your rival's party is when you make up your own party. For this reason, I generally avoid challenging a close rival and just go down through the list of other castles and look for parties I think I can come up with some strategy to defeat.

The challenge quests should work the same way as the story quests. Come up with your party based on the monsters you'll be facing. You should learn over time the characteristics of certain monsters. If you haven't figured this out yet then just take your best guess or use a fairly generic party. Pay attention to the tips you get after you lose a battle. For example, this is where you learn that goos are vulnerable to magic attacks. Also, during your battles, do a two finger flick up and pay attention to how your different heroes are holding up. If your trailing heroes are getting taken out right away, move some heroes with more armor to the back of your party. If your lightly armored heroes are dieing early then replace them with heroes that have more armor and so on. I see losing a battle as an investment in learning more about my heroes and the enemies I'm facing.