I suspect you are hearing a badge announcing the number of reminders that are unmarked as completed. If so, you'll find that each reminder has 2 instances of being announced by VoiceOver. The second one has a checkbox. Single finger double tap on it and that will show that reminder as complete.
HTH,
Jeff