IN my case, when it comes to books that are several mp3 files, I use voice dream reader. Works great!

-----Original Message----- From: Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:41 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: MP3 Files

Fanus,

Everything is done in Chapter and Vers, but it uses the iTunes encoder to do
the conversion so iTunes will open if you don't already have it open.

All I do is open iTunes, then I open Chapter and Vers and in Chapter and
Vers focus is usually on the "Add Files" button. I activate it, set the file
type to MP3, browse to the folder of MP3 files I want to convert and use
Control+A to select them all. Then I tab to "Open" and activate it.
Now Chapter and Vers (let's call it CV for convenience) does what it calls a
file validation on each of the MP3 files. You can use Jaws Key+Page Down to
read the status bar of CV and follow that.
Once it's done you have an option to update the encoder settings, e.g.
bitrate, mono/stereo, there is something called "Optimize for Voice" which
is a checkbox and so on.
You can also specify if you want the converted files to be placed in the
same directory with the MP3 files, I usually do that because later you can
save your single file elsewhere and once I have the book converted and
everything is in one big file I usually delete all the original MP3 files
and the converted M4B files.
There are also other tabs in this dialogue other than the Conversion tab,
but I don't have time to write a full tutorial on how to use CV now.
If you have multiple MP3 files which each are a chapter or maybe they each
are about an hour or whatever, this structure is preserved in the single
large file you get and you can still use Previous and Next to go to these
files or chapters or whatever they are.
Once you have set your conversion options activate the Save button, then
focus will be on the "Yes, Convert" button. Activate it and all files will
be converted into M4B.
When you first press the "Yes, Convert" button and check the status line, CV
will say "Updating iTunes AAC encoder Parameters".
This takes a moment and then you get the message that it is "Converting 01
Valhalla Rising", that is just an example of a Clive Cussler book I am
converting as I am typing this so I don't miss any steps.
The conversion will take some time depending on how long each file is and
how many files there are, in this case of Valhalla Rising there are 24 files
and each seems to take 40 or 45 seconds to convert, so in total this book
takes about 12 or 15 minutes to convert, then building the final single file
will take another couple of minutes.
It also depends on your computer's speed.
When the initial conversion of all the MP3 files is complete it may seem
that CV is "Not responding" and it will most likely say "Closing iTunes
Connection", just let it sit and do it's thing.
It then goes through another validation before it will tell you it is
"Generating Chapter Data Files" and after that it goes through the "Merging
Audio" process.
When it's done and your book is longer you may get the following warning
message:

Audio Duration Warning
The total duration of the audio files you selected is 1,654,433,568 audio
samples.
Audiobooks longer than 650,000,000 samples may have problems playing on
certain ipods.
The latest generation of iPod's (e.g. iPod classic and iPod Touch) appear to
have corrected the problem.
It is recommended that you split your audiobook into multiple parts if you
have an earlier generation iPod or experience playback issues with longer
audiobooks.

There is a "Do Not Show this message again" checkbox and an OK button.
As the message said, you can pretty much ignore it, I never had a problem
with any length of book.

OK, now in the status line if you do Jaws Key+Down Arrow you would hear, in
my example, Ready, Files: 24, Chapters: 24".
You now have a visual list of all the files and durations and you can move
them around, but of course normally you would want to leave them in their
correct order.
You now can tab to the "Built Audio Book" button and activate it.
It will ask you to "Choose Output File and Location", this is basically a
standard Windows Save As dialogue box, you can give your book a proper name
and save it in which ever folder you want.
After you activate "Save" the files are merged and saved as 1 file in M4B
format.
At the very end CV asks if you want it to automatically add the file to your
iTunes library, I usually say Yes and then it's there ready to be synced to
my iPhone.

Converting books this way is not a fast process, but it is a one-time
process and you can sort of start it and then do something else and just
check back to continue to the next step.
The steps above maybe sound more complicated than they are, but once you,
for example, set your encoder settings you can just add the files and then
go straight to "Yes, Convert" without updating the settings again.

Hope this helps,