If you put in a destination, you will find at least one estimated time, if that
seems reasonable, double tap on it. Then check near the top of the screen and
you will find driving, transit, bicycle, and walking modes to choose from.
Then, after selecting your mode, double tap on navigate.
If you want a text list of steps, double tap on the navigate menu and flick
until you find step-by-step list.
HTH,
Richard

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be
nothing." - Aristotle