Hi Jasper,

The Sonos Connect has analogue RCA style inputs and it has 3 types of
outputs: Coax Digital, Optical as well as analogue. So you could just hook
it up to your amplifier in the living room using the RCA styles outputs.

I suggest you then hook the Airport Express up to the analogue inputs of the
same Connect and this way you can Airplay to it via the Airport Express and
of course you can then play the Airplay stream on any or all of your Play 1
players as well.

The only restriction with this setup is that if you want to also hook up a
cable box or satellite receiver you would then have to unplug the Airport
Express and plug in whatever other source since there is only one set of RCA
inputs.

I am not totally sure how you would get Netflix to the Sonos. How do you
play/listen to Netflix now? With the computer or an iDevice? I think an
Apple TV is by far the best option and the most accessible, but then again
you can't hook an Apple TV into Sonos unless maybe if you took the Optical
out of the Apple TV and find some sort of converter which would convert it
to RCA/analogue. That might actually be something to look into because if
that exists and worked then you could buy an Apple TV instead of an Airport
Express and just Airplay via the Apple TV. Keep in mind that those of us who
care and keep trac of this type of stuff are waiting with great anticipation
for the new fourth Generation Apple TV which is rumoured to come out in the
next month or 2. This could be potentially a lot more than what it is now,
but nobody really knows.