Hi Cathy,

If you want to read the MP3 books with the Music app you would have to use
iTunes to sync them to your device. They will, as you guessed, show up in
the music library in iTunes, but here you can highlight all the files, then
press Control+I for "Get Info" and in the Options tab find the combo box for
Media Type. Here change the type from Music to Audio Books, then tab to OK
and activate it.

Doing this will move the books into the Books library and if you then
connect your phone, go to the Books tab and either check to sync all books
or selected books, you can then sync them to you rphone.
If you now open the Music app on your phone double tap the More tab at the
bottom right and you will have an Audio Books category which you can double
tap to see your books.

I would highly recommend that once you have added the files to iTunes and
you select them and go to Get Info that you also put the Author in the
Artist field and the name of the book in the album field. This is under the
Info tab. I would then go to each of the MP3 files individually and make ure
to give it the correct number in track number otherwise your book may not
play in order.

If your book consists of many MP3 files I recommend that you either use the
free software application "Chapter and Vers" which allows you to select all
the MP3 files, convert them to M4B which is the iTunes book format and the
software then combines all the files into a single file which at the end of
the process is automatically added to your iTunes books library where it
will be ready to be synced.

You could also make a zip folder of all your MP3 files and, if you use
Dropbox, copy it into a Dropbox folder and then use Voice Dreamreader to
listen to your book.