You're thinking about iOS in the context of Android. The two are different, and
take very different approaches to file management. Where Android lets apps talk
freely, access the same file system, and so on, iOS sandboxes them. Say you
have two Daisy players. You can't download one copy of a book and let both apps
open it, each app needs its own copy of the book. There is no common file
storage beyond the music/movie library, which is tightly controlled and
encrypted.

Consequently, root privileges would do no good, since no app can go outside of
its sandbox no matter what. Each app can manage its own files, but no apps can
manage common files.

If I need a way to sort random files into folders, I use Dropbox. It's
accessible, free, and syncs over the internet so I can access that same folder
structure online or on any other iOS, Android, OS X, or Windows device I happen
to have. Aside from that, I give each app the file(s) that it makes sense to
give that app, and keep masters on my computer in case I need to use the files
for something else. Apple is pushing for a lack of folder structure, between
iCloud syncing and its use of file tagsin the latest OS X release, so the lack
of a user-accessible file system, aside from being a huge part of iOS'
top-notch security, makes sense from the Apple perspective.
On May 3, 2014, at 4:09 PM, Bill Dengler <codeofd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> On my Android devices, it is rather simple to download and save files to the
> filesystem, create directories, etc. So, my question is this :
> 1 - how do I download files locally in iOS?
> 2 - how do I manipulate the filesystem? How do I create directories, move
> files around, etc? In other words, what type of file manager/explorer
> programs exist and how accessible are they with VO?
> 3 - I know that when I jailbreak an iOS device, I am able to install an ssh
> server and sftp files anywhere on the device as the root user. In Android, I
> can elevate an application to root privileges. How does one do this in iOS,
> and do I need to be jailbroken first?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Have a great day,