If you're trying to connect to an Exchange server then you wouldn't use either POP3 or IMAP. Exchange doesn't use either of these protocols; it has it's own protocol. I don't use Exchange, except at the office where everything is set up for me, but I'd think you'd go into Outlook and create a new account to point to your Exchange server. There are others on list who use Exchange, so maybe they can help.

I'm not sure how it works with Exchange, but in IMAP, you can copy messages into a folder on your PC, and if it's an IMAP folder, then it will be synced with the server. It won't happen automatically since you'll have to copy the message from your POP3 account over to a folder in your IMAP account.