I am aware that it's not the same as unlocking. I am considering getting an iphone. I'm trying to get any and all questions answered first.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sieghard Weitzel" <siegh...@live.ca>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:53 AM
Subject: RE: jail breaking a iphone

Hi Dennis,

You have all features of your phone, jailbreaking allows you to to more than
what Apple allows in some ways, but it may also make your phone more
unstabil, more prone to crashing depending on which jailbreak tweeks you
install and it may also make it less secure.
Keep in mind that Jailbreaking does not allow you to take a locked phone to
a different provider, for that you have to unlock your phone which has
nothing at all to do with jailbreaking.
Which phone do you have and are you still under contract? If you are still
in a 2-year contract and even if you get your phone unlocked, you could not
leave your current provider unless you continued to pay them for your
monthly plan or unless you paid whatever penalty they impose to cancel your
plan.
Remember that if you bought your phone at a discounted price from a company
like AT&T, Verizon or a different provider, you did agree that you keep the
phone with them for 2 years at whatever plan you chose. They did after all
pay for a large portion of your phone and in return you commited to their
monthly plan for the 2 year period.