First, if you can stand the wait, the iPhone6 will be out later this year. You
could get that, or get the 5S when it drops in price.

As to internet, if you are the only one on the phone plan, 2gb is more than
enough. Yes, apps use data, but most let you disable internet access while not
on wifi. Besides, the majority will only be pulling small amounts of text, so
letting them do what they want won't eat into your data plan. The big data
users are audio and video apps - Podcasts, Music, Youtube, Skype, FaceTime, and
the like.

OCR apps are not great, but they get the job done in most cases. Check out
Prizmo, Pocket Reader, and Text Detective for starters.

Object identifier apps: Money Reader, that free money identifying app whose
name I'm forgetting, TapTapSee, Camfind, Red Laser, and Digit-Eyes are the best
ones.

I strongly recommend you have a look around www.applevis.com to get more app
recommendations and reviews.
On May 31, 2014, at 3:14 PM, Eve <squirre...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As I stated in an earlier message last week, I intend to purchase an IPhone
> 5S in the near future.
> I have Verizon as my carrier & plan to have 2 GB data.  I've heard on this
> list that lots of aps use the internet.  Would it be better to purchase more
> GB, or just don't use the ones that require the internet connection?  I only
> want to text once in a while, and be able to identify objects and colors with
> the iPhone.  Also, I would like to use the ap that can read a printed page
> after taking a picture of it with the camera.  Would someone please explain
> all this stuff to me?  Thanks!
>
> Eve

Have a great day,
Alex Hall