Hello Matthew,

I'm not Chris but I will answer your question.

Before I begin, let me say that (1) in no way am I referring to jail-broken
devices and (2) I am not referring to those who wish to restore their beta
OS software back to a currently released version of an operating system.  I
am only talking about "normal" iOS devices for "regular" iOS consumers.

Well, the short answer is that iTunes uses a certain file with a certain
file type extension in order to install the Operating system on an iOS
device.  The file extension for these files is .IPSW.

It only takes one file to update your device to any one version of the
operating system.

Historically, these files were difficult to obtain as stand-alone files but,
even as far back as 2010, if one was tenacious enough, one could find them
on the web.

As a general rule of thumb, Apple says that once you update your iOS device
to a certain firmware such as iOS 7.1.2, you cannot downgrade it back to an
earlier version such as 7.1.1 or 6.x.

The website that is the subject of this thread, provides a single location
from where one can obtain many, if not all, of the previously released
versions of iOS for various iOS devices.

Without getting too technical, contrary to popular belief, one can restore
an iOS device all the way back to the original OS that shipped with the
device when it was purchased.

For any would-be nay-Sayers, let me state that I have done this many, many
times, even recently.  It can be a bit tricky, given the misdirecting dialog
boxes with their, effectively false error messages, but once you do it one
time, you can do it anytime.

In fact, at one point, I was going to publish a tutorial to my BLOG on how
to do this but a friend of mine at the company who must not be named, smile,
asked me not to so, I did not.

However, the steps on how to accomplish this are out on the web and, based
on a search I conducted just a few hours ago, are even more readily
available than they used to be back in the dark-ages, when I started out on
this Apple cart.

Personally, I don't really see a need for the average consumer to downgrade
to an earlier version of an OS unless certain key features are broken such
as the ability to use a specific Braille display, correctly, etc.

Mark