This is an incorrect statement. KNFB Reading Technologies developed and sold
the KNFB Reader for Nokia Phones running on the Symbian platform. As I recall,
they came out with one or two updates per year, so that is what I will
initially expect from them with their second app.

Also, KNFB Reader for Nokia did not invent anything. The OCR software they used
for the Symbian platform came from a company in England. The page edge
detection for Symbian platform came from a company in Europe. This was easy to
figure out by going through the list of copyrights and trademarks which was
included with the KNFB Reader.

I have already tracked down probable OCR technology and page detection
technology apps for iPhone that I suspect KNFB Reader is utilising for their
$99 app.

I was a little surprised to read that NFB sponsored $11.5 million for the
iPhone app. For the Nokia app, KNFB Reader utilised over a million dollars of
federal research grant moneys.

Yes, these are some of the reasons why I am very cynical of the extremely high
pricing of the app. I have no doubt it will work as advertised.

One final comment: taking a picture of a PowerPoint presentation from 22 feet
away and having KNFB Reader recognise it was purely a publicity stunt. I can do
the same with any other OCR app and it will work just as well, so long as the
image of the print is in focus.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288