I guess I tend to take what people and companies say at face value. I guess I also don't see what the value is in spending energy dissecting what a company says and speculating what's really going on behind the scenes. Whether a company announces in July that a product will be released at the end of August or whether they announce in August it'll be coming out in mid-September, it'll still be coming out when it comes out.

From my experience, upgrades are quite tricky and hard to test. Who knows what API changes Apple is making from IOS 7 to IOS 8 and what code paths KNFB has in it to work well on both versions. Sure, KNFB can be testing upgrades now with the beta of IOS 8, but how many combinations of models, memory, other applications and so on can they test. It makes sense to me that they'd wait until IOS 8 comes out. This gives them more time to test and it means a lot of people will be upgrading to IOS 8 before installing KNFB, eliminating a lot of potential problems. I seem to recall a handful of apps had trouble transitioning from IOS 6 to IOS 7.

Companies are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Didn't we have a discussion on this list after IOS 7 came out that Apple should have held it off a bit to get more testing in and fix more accessibility bugs? Apple places a lot on their big events, so they're not going to slip a IOS release, unless it's a major dead on arrival kind of a bug. KNFB seems like they're willing to take a hit a bit on postponing their release, which by the way means delaying their revenue stream, and maybe they're doing this to get a better and more stable product out the door. I'm willing to wait a few weeks if it means dealing with fewer issues. I'm sure KNFB didn't make this decision lightly, and I'm sure they had some very smart people looking at some numbers and making a very tough decision.

On 08/30/2014 12:37 PM, Rick Alfaro wrote:
Hi Sieghard.

I tend to agree with you in that it's a lame excuse but it is what it
is. Hopefully it will be worth the wait and price. Personally, I'll be
waiting a while to see what others report. Right now, I'm chomping at
the bit for an iWatch that will hopefully have a decent sounding speaker
and work with VO and Siri.

Best regards,

Rick Alfaro

*From:*viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] *On
Behalf Of *Sieghard Weitzel
*Sent:* Friday, August 29, 2014 10:00 PM
*To:* viphone@googlegroups.com
*Subject:* RE: knfb reader

Hi Jonathan,

Correct, from what I heard iOS 8 is expected to be released to the
public on Wednesday, September 17 followed by the iPhone 6 on Friday the
19^th . I guess we'll find out on Tuesday in a week whether there will
be a 4.7 inch and a 5.5 inch iPhone 6 or if there will only be the 4.7
inch model for now with the larger one to follow later. I also heard
rumours now that an iWatch may be announced on the 9^th as well.

Maybe the expected 13 Megapixel iPhone 6 camera which is rumoured to
actually protrude a bit beyond the thickness of the phone along with
these under the hood changes will make KNFB Reader on an iPhone 6 even
better, but that certainly is not a reason why the app can't be released
for the 5S with iOS 7 unless they are just not ready to release it to
the public in which case they should just say so.