Hi Alan,

The iPhone 3GS had a 3 MP camera, the iPhone 4 had a 5 MP and the iPhone 4S, 5,
5C and 5S all have an 8 MP camera. It is correct, however, that the same 8 MP
camera on the 5S is better than that on the 4S or 5 since the sensor has larger
pixels and it has the 2-tone flash which yields better results in low light.
And yes, I can see how the processing of the image is best on a 5S and better
on a 5 or 5C than it is on the 4S and of course it will yet be better on the
various iPhone 6 models which besides getting the A8 chip most likely will
feature a 13 MP camera.

I am not sure where you get the 8.5 Megapixel number, not that 8 MP or 8.5 MP
would mnake a big difference, but here is part of a description of the 5S
eyesight camera followed by the link to the entire article:

The new iSight camera on iPhone 5s builds on the iPhone 5 camera in ways that
make a real difference to your photos. It captures beautiful images at 8
megapixels.
What makes them beautiful is a redesigned camera sensor that allows for bigger
pixels. Bigger pixels equal better photos. And better photos are precisely what
inspired the advancements we made with the new iSight camera on iPhone 5s.

Larger sensor. Larger pixels. Larger aperture.
Light is one of the most important factors in getting a great photo. Not just
how well your subject is lit, but how sensitive your camera’s sensor is to
light.
Here’s how it works: A camera’s sensor — and the pixels on it — collect light.
The larger the sensor and the larger the pixels, the more light is collected.
And that translates to better, brighter images with truer colours and less
noise.

https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone-5s/camera