yes, it's a Voiceover function. It allows you to tap the letter you want to use
once you reach it. It's kind of similar to typing on a keyboard. I think it
feels quite natural, but I'm experiencing some issues with it. It doesn't work
for entering my passcode. In fact my iPod 5G defaults to standard typing when
I enter the passcode, so I've switched back to touch typing.

Teresa

"We can see with the eyes, but we see with the brain as well, and seeing with
the brain is often called imagination."--Oliver Sacks