Hello Julie,
Here's how to put it together.

Lay the folded StandScan on a table with the small flap away from you.
Open the small flap and fold back the body of the StandScan towards you.
Now the topmost piece should open to the left, and the remaining part will open
to the right but will still be a double thickness.
Open the final piece to the right.
Go to the lefthand piece and you'll find that there is a crease running from
where it joins the second piece to the lefthand edge, a few centimetres in.
Fold along this crease making an elongated triangle.
The same thing can be found on the back edge of the same piece, and on the
front and back edges of the third section.
The piece at the extreme right is the top and you can find the LEDs along its
back edge, and the cable at its back left corner.
Lift the righthand section and lift the lefthand section, then fold over the
flap at the end of the section with the LEDs so that the magnets meet the
magnets on the lefthand section.
A flap of the top section folds down to engage with the magnets on the
triangular pieces, and the piece still lying flat at the back lifts up to meet
the top and the triangular side pieces at the back.
Your StandScan should now look like a large box with an open front and a short
cable coming out of the upper back lefthand corner.

There is a round hole in the centre of the top. You lay your iPhone on the top
of the box with the camera looking down through the hole. Your phone will be
about a centimeter from the front edge. You need to make sure that the phone is
parallel with the front edge to get good OCR results. The angled pieces are
self-adhesive and you stick them to the top of the StandScan Pro to help you
position your device quickly.

What you took to be a light box is a battery holder for a 9 v battery.

Cheers,

Anne