Rose, this will be an easy fix, you are just missing the Continue button
once to get to that point where you describe you are.

once you go through the first stage as you describe you get to the following
screen:

Adjust your grip

Keep going to capture the edges of your print

Continue button

Photo of a person holding an iPhone with their right hand while touching the
home button with their thumb

All you have to do when you get to this point is to find the Continue button
which you can do by touching anywhere and then swipe left or right until you
get to it, then double tap on it and continue by placing your finger on the
home button. As they ask, try to go around the edges of your finger and
after a few more times of placing your finger on the home key the process
will be complete. Also make sure not to use the very tip of your finger so
much, more use the pad of your finger or thumb between your fingertip and
the first joint.

Good luck,

Sieghard