I have not been following this thread, but I have had no trouble labeling
photos or videos since iOS 7.1.2
In iOS 8.1, my previous labels are there and creating new ones works just like
before.
I use the standard gesture of a two finger double-tap and hold and enter text
in the field and or delete what is there and enter something new and then
double tapping on the done button in the lower right corner.
Richard

The only limits are those of vision.

🐉

Sent from my iPhone 5S