To answer your questions, no it does not give turn-by-turn directions. The
purpose of BlindSquare is to orient you to what is around you. It will tell you
what intersections are coming up, what street you are on, and optionally what
points of interest are around. However, it can do tracking, where it opens up
the GPS app of your choice, such as Apple Maps.

Honestly depending on what you need it for, I think just using Maps works fine.
It can now tell you what street you are on, and what intersection is coming up.
BlindSquare has some more options, but nowadays I find myself just using Maps.

Carrying it in your pocket should work fine.

No, you don’t need to install anything else. It can be helpful to install
4Square, if you want to check into locations, or create custom points of
interest, but it’s not necessary.

Brandon